Dr Oz says that “Losing just 10 pounds can lower your blood pressure, reduce your risk for a stroke, ward off dementia, lower your risk for uterine and breast cancer, and lower your cholesterol up to 10%.” That’s quite the payoff – so let’s find out how it’s done. We’ve taken some ideas from his suggestions, and added our own.
10 Strategies to Lose 10 Pounds or More
- Eliminate soda – both regular and diet soda cause weight gain. Drinking soda also causes tooth decay, bone weakening, and increases your risk for diabetes. Start by reducing at least one can or bottle of soda per day. Instead, drink more water. Fresh water will help you feel fuller, and also flush toxins from your system to help you lose weight.
- Stop eating at least three hours before bedtime. Set a timer if necessary. You’ll find weight comes off much easier.
- Walk at least 10 minutes per day. Walking or other movement for just 10 minutes improves cardiovascular fitness. Of course more is better, but small steps that you can achieve are more important than big goals you never begin.
- Control portions. Don’t snack out of the bag – put a quantity the size of your fist into a small bowl. Use smaller plates when serving. Take a smaller amount, and tell yourself that if you’re still hungry in twenty minutes, then you can go back for more.
- Track your progress every day. Download our printable “Lose 10 Pounds – Daily Checklist” to help you stay on track. It’s been proven many times that what is measured is more likely to be achieved, so keep track of your progress. If you slip up one day, that’s all the more reason to stay on track the next!
- Take vitamin B Complex every day: Dr Oz says that “Vitamin B Complex metabolizes carbohydrates, proteins and and fatty acids in the body giving you the energy to exercise”, and we agree that vitamin B is a powerful aid to weight loss.
- Take vitamins. Many dieters don’t get enough essential nutrients. Taking a supplimentary mulitvitamin can ensure you get the essentials. Vitamin D3, magnesium citrate, calcium (especially for women) are all recommended. Adding probiotics and omega-3 DHA can be very beneficial to overall health.
- Eat vegetables. One of the best ways to lose weight is to develop an appreciation of vegetables. If you stick to green vegetables and avoid the starchy ones, such as potatoes, you can eat as much as you want without spoiling your chance to lose 10 pounds or more.
- Eat frequently. If you wait to get hungry before eating, your blood sugar is probably dipping and spiking. It’s far better for weight loss if you eat four small meals per day, rather than two larger ones. spacing out your meals 3 hours apart works well. If you can’t fit in a meal, have a healthy snack of vegetables, fresh fruit, or a few nuts. See our guide to healthy snacking, and prepare your snacks in advance.
- Eat fiber. Foods with fiber give you a big advantage when you’re losing weight. First, they help you feel full, so that you consume fewer calories. Second, they help food move more quickly through your digestive system, while absorbing some fats, so that you retain fewer calories from the food you do eat. Go out of your way to read labels and consume higher-fiber foods and snacks. You may want to look into consuming more “slow carbs“, which are non-starchy carbohydrates which contain significant carbohydrate, such as beans and lentils.
Creating these healthy habits will not only help you lose weight, but they’ll help you maintain weight loss. These are the habits that help create a fat-burning body – so that you can stay healthy and lean for many years.
Make sure you download the Lose 10 Pounds – Daily Checklist. If you follow these suggestions consistently for at least a month and track your progress, you’ll be able to report back here in the comments and update us on your weight loss. If you have trouble with willpower, hunger, or want greater weight loss than to lose 10 pounds, and want it fast, please fill out the form for a free initial consultation if you’re in Hawaii.