Weight Loss Goals
- A BMI below 18.5 is considered underweight.
- A BMI between 18.5 and 25 is considered healthy.
- A BMI between 25 and 30 is considered overweight.
- A BMI between 30 and 35 is considered moderately obese.
- A BMI between 35 and 40 is considered severely obese.
- A BMI of 40 or higher is considered very severely (morbidly) obese.
- Type 2 (adult-onset) diabetes
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Stroke (cerebrovascular accident or CVA)
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction or MI)
- Heart failure (congestive heart failure)
- Cancer (certain forms such as cancer of the prostate and cancer of the colon and rectum)
- Gallstones and gall bladder disease (cholecystitis)
- Gout and gouty arthritis
- Osteoarthritis (degenerative arthritis) of the knees, hips, and the lower back
- Sleep apnea (failure to breath normally during sleep, lowering blood oxygen)